Laing is another authentic recipe originated from Bicol region. The main ingredient of this recipe is dried taro root (dahon ng gabi) cooked with coconut milk and red chili. You can include shrimp paste with pork on this one. But if you are health and diet conscious, the plain Laing recipe alone will be the best choice for you.
- 25 pieces gabi (taro) leaves, dried and shredded
- 1/2 kilo pork, diced
- 1/4 cup shrimp bagoong
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 5 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 cup coconut cream (katang gata)
- 2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Laing Cooking Instructions:
- In a casserole, sauté garlic, ginger and onions then add the pork.
- mix in the gabi leaves.
- Pour in the coconut milk (gata) and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, bagoong, salt and MSG and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and continue to simmer until oil comes out of the cream.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
(via filipino food)