For our third issue on Filipino Authentic Dishes we have Adobong Pusit na Ginataan,
- 1 kilo Octopus
- 1 medium size niyog for your gata (coconut milk)
- 1 small size ginger (kapirasong luya)
- 3 pcs green chili pepper (3 piraso siling pangsigang)
- a pinch of salt and msg
- Making coconut milk- Coconut milk is not the juice inside a coconut, although this liquid does make a satisfying drink.
- Rather, coconut milk is made by squeezing the grated flesh of a coconut with some hot water resulting in a rich white liquid that looks very much like cow’s milk.
- My family usually make 2 batches of coconut milk, the first one is called kakang gata, the second one is I don’t know, what its for is to pre-cook the octopus until its tender.
- Making kakang gata is adding a half cup of hot water to the pulp, then place a sieve covered with cheese cloth over a bowl and pour the coconut meat and water into the sieve squeezing handfuls of the coconut meat to extract the milk.
- To make the second milk is just add another 1 cup of water and repeat the process and put the milk in a casserole.
- Add the octopus, ginger, green chili pepper, garlic and salt/msg.
- Boil until octopus is tender or the milk is almost dry.
- Then add the kakang gata, and let it boil for 5 minutes.