As much as I love cakes, there’s one more that I also love eating for my miryenda, my all time favorite Bibingka. Well you see here at San Pablo City along the sides of Maharlikah Hiway you’ll notice these sidewalk vendors cooking Bibingka. You’ll just can’t help but notice these bibingka vendors, why? it’s all because of that very delicious smell of it. Plus the banana leaves and the coconut husk that’s burning (these are the materials used for cooking bibingka).They will definitely catch your attention and desire to buy one and taste one for your self, that’s why we will have the recipe for you to try making one for your and your family!
Makes about 8 cakes Prep Time 20 minutes, plus 24 hours resting time
Cooking Time 25 minutes
- 200 grams instant gata powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 10 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 2 1/2 cups rice flour
- 2 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 3 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- In a bowl, mix instant gata powder, all-purpose flour, instant yeast, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix water with rice flour in a bowl and with glutinous rice flour in another bowl. Combine flour mixtures together with white sugar and milk in a mixing bowl and whisk with a mixer until well incorporated.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients and mix until combined. Strain mixture into a mixing bowl then return batter to the mixer and whisk again for a few minutes to incorporate more air. Transfer batter to a covered container and let it rest inside the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Prepare the bibingka oven— palayok (a claypot gadget) available in wet markets—by lining the clay pan with banana leaf and putting live coals underneath and above the oven.
- To cook bibingka, get 1 cup of the refrigerated batter and place into a stainless bowl with 2 whole eggs.
- Whisk mixture 50 times (to incorporate more air) then pour into the banana leaf-lined bibingka clay pan. Bake until halfcooked. Lift the cover of the bibingka oven then arrange sliced salted egg and sliced white cheese on top of the cake.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese or queso de bola. Continue cooking until done. Lift with a metal spatula and transfer to serving dish. Brush with butter before serving.
There I hope that you find it easy and prepare to cook one!